Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Emotion...

I have stared at the computer screen for the last few minutes trying to figure out how to say what I want to say…and it’s proving to be difficult. The weekend was definitely fun, but I am tired. And, it seems, that regardless of how much sleep I get, I am still tired. I feel like the cold is starting to wear on me, I am more than ready for consistently above freezing temperatures. I am getting kind of tired of people yelling “HELLO” at the top of their lungs once they realize I am white. The dirt, black snow, and smog are becoming grossly normal. Chores, commuting to school, going to the market, the whole bit, far longer to complete here than at home due to language barriers, a city of seven million, and probably a variety of other reasons. But, this is China, and even though the daily grind of life here has been draining this last week, this is the life and culture that I am loving more and more.

I hesitated to write that I feel tired at parts of the culture and, mostly, just the cold weather. But, if I don’t share the emotion of this experience, then really, what good is this blog? I hope it doesn’t come across as upset, or depressing, or anything of that sort, rather just what gets processed through and filtered out before you find the originality, creativity and sheer beauty of a culture different than your own. I am loving it here, genuinely.


Even though this last week has been a bit tiring, we are transitioning from being tourists to living here, the newness of all of it has worn off, and it is now home.






This weekend my roommate, Lindsey, and I were able to spend an afternoon with a student, Tina, and her family. Her parents taught us how to make chuing bing. It is a traditional Chinese dish (my favorite here so far!) that is a crepe/tortilla like bread that you fill with a variety of dishes, most popularly pork and potatoes. Her mom taught us how to make the pancake, and then her dad taught us how to make the pork, among other things. Tina’s aunt and uncle came over for lunch, we found out later that it was the first time they had ever had foreigners over to their house! When we ate the table was full of homemade dishes to put in the chuing bing (the pancake thing). It was amazing, one of the best meals I have had in China. I am excited to know how to make this and to make it for my family in July! Her family was so gracious, the food was delicious, and it was just a really good afternoon.


Yesterday, Monday, was the last day of the Spring Festival, and it was the lantern festival. A bunch of us walked around Bei Shi Chong (said, bay sure chong, and it means north market) where the guys live. There were tons of vendors selling balloons, cotton candy, sugar cane and countless other foods and objects. There were tons of people and it was cool to see everyone out for the festivities! We walked down to Government Park and people were letting off red lanterns into the sky. They were paper lanterns that have a small flame in the bottom and when it gets hot enough they rise up. It was cool to look up and see so many rising. Traditionally, people write a wish or a prayer on the lantern and then set it off. I am very glad that I have gotten to be here to experience first hand all that goes on for the biggest Chinese holiday…to me, it seems like I have been given a once in a lifetime opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mollie, just wanted to say I am thinking of you, just read your blog and it's nice you are so honest but made me feel a bit sad for you. I am sure you will get some good sleep, hopefully soon the weather will improve and days will seem brighter for you. Realize we all have those kinds of days, and us in Portland have no excitement. I have really enjoyed your pictures and reading about your exciting adventure. You truly are so fortunate to have an opportunity of a lift time. Take care of yourself. and take some time for yourself to re-energize and things will seem better. We all miss you and love you from Oregon. Love, Chris and Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mol - just read your blog again. Been meaning to say that they had similar lantern things in Thailand! How cool are they!? I'll have to talk to you some more about them but Giles and I ended up lighting one in Koh Samui and we have it on video so will have to share it.

    Can't wait for you to make us some pork pancakes!

    Love Em

    ReplyDelete